Sweet potatoes and spinach are in season now here in Andalucia. This vegetarian stew is hearty and warming. Just what you need on a cold winters night in December.
Serves 4 – 6
Preparation 20 minutes
Cooking Time 40 – 45 minutes
60 ml olive oil
1 onion peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
10ml fresh grated root ginger
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp mild or medium curry paste
350gm peeled sweet potato, cubed
100ml passata or tomato triturado
300ml vegetable stock
225gm spinach leaves, roughly shredded
225gm button mushrooms
60ml peanut butter
Salt and pepper
Greek yogurt or Crème Fraiche to serve
1. Heat 45ml of the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onion, garlic, ginger and cayenne and fry gently for 10 minutes. Add curry paste; cook stirring for 1 minute
2. Add the sweet potatoes, stir to coat with the onion mixture and fry for 3 – 4 minutes. Add the passata and stock. Bring to the boil and cover and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until the potatoes are almost tender.
3. Meanwhile add the remaining oil in a frying pan, add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 4 – 5 minutes until golden and beginning to release their juices. Add the potatoes with the shredded spinach and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
4. Mix a few spoonsful of ther stew juices with the peanut butter to soften it slightly then stir back into the p[an. Add the coriander , season and heat through.
5. Scatter plenty of the coriander over the top and serve at once with the Greek yogurt or Crème Fraiche
It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.
Two peanut farmers have been elected president of the USA – Virginia's Thomas Jefferson and Georgia's Jimmy Carter.
Astronaut Alan Shepard took a peanut with him to the moon.
Former President Bill Clinton says one of his favourite sandwiches is peanut butter and banana; also reported to have been the favourite of Elvis “the King” Presley.
Nick has lived and worked in Andalucia for over 20 years. He and his partner, Julie Evans, have travelled extensively and dug deep into the history and culture, producing authoritative articles on all aspects of the region. Nick has written four books about Andalucia and writes articles for other websites and blogs.
Please add together
3 + 8 =
to receive regular FREE newsletters
Please prove you are humanadd together
9 + 8 =
Like us on
Mobile +34 634 344 163 (Nick)
Mobile +34 647 379 245 (Julie)
© Visit-Andalucia 2019