Potatoes are in season as is the spring lamb. Combine the two in this typically Andalucian dish.
PREP TIME: 20 Minutes
COOK TIME: 4 - 5 hours
SERVINGS: 4 People
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons kosher salt plus more
4 fresh bay leaves, divided
2 kgs Spanish white potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4" slices, divided
7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
1 x 1 1/2- to 2 kg bone-in leg of lamb
1 kg tomatoes, cut into 1/4" slices
2 medium onions, cut into 1/2" slices
2 cups dry white wine
1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Combine garlic, thyme, and 2 tablespoons salt in a small bowl. Using your fingertips, rub mixture until it resembles wet sand (larger pieces of garlic will remain); set aside. Crush bay leaves.
2. Combine half of potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 crushed bay leaf in a large roasting pan; season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
3. Spread out potatoes in a single layer.
4. Place lamb on top of potatoes and rub with garlic mixture. Layer tomatoes, onions, remaining 3 crushed bay leaves, and remaining potatoes around and up sides of lamb, seasoning with salt and pepper and drizzling with remaining 6 tablespoons oil as you go (lamb will be nearly covered).
5. Add wine to pan; cover tightly with foil.
6. Roast until lamb is very tender, 3-4 hours.
7. Remove foil and increase oven temperature to 220°C. Roast, turning lamb halfway through, until lamb is golden, 20-25 minutes longer.
8. Let rest in roasting pan for 15-20 minutes.
DO AHEAD: Lamb can be roasted 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Reheat before continuing.
9. Pull meat from bones in large chunks; discard bones and fat.
10. Place meat and vegetables on a platter. Skim fat from surface of cooking juices in pan.
11. Spoon some cooking juices over lamb and vegetables and serve remainder alongside.
Please add together
10 + 3 =
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive our Newsletters
Visit-Andalucia.com is a leading edge Destination Information Site in Andalucia.
Visit Andalucia is aimed specifically at people visiting or intending to live in, and the expat population of Andalucia. Those people are looking for all their leisure activities and the products and services that make their time in Andalucia fulfilling. Those people are actively looking for your business.
Like us on
Mobile +34 634 344 163 (Nick)
Mobile +34 647 379 245 (Julie)