Recipes from The Andalucia Kitchen Garden
Thai Style Courgette Spaghetti Soup
An interesting low calorie but filling soup with all the Asian flavours of a Red Thai Curry
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serves: Serves 6 Difficulty: Easy
- 4 large or 6 medium courgettes at room temperature
- Sunflower or coconut oil
- 2 x 400g tins coconut milk
- 700ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1tbsp palm or brown sugar
- 1 lime for juice plus wedges to serve
- zest of 1 lime (use the one you used for juice)
- 1 or 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 chopped shallots or a small onion
- 6 red chillies
- 6 garlic cloves
- thumb-sized piece of ginger
- fistful of coriander leaves and stems separated with a few leaves to serve
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- to serve - coconut cream or creme fraiche
Make the curry paste by bashing the shallots, chillies, lemongrass, garlic, galangal and coriander stems in a large mortar with a pestle until it forms a paste (or you can whizz in a blender instead, if you like). Add the lime leaves, spices and 1 tsp salt and bash or whizz again until smooth.
Top and tail the courgettes, then use a spiralizer to cut the courgettes, or very thinly slice into noodles. Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil in a large pan and fry 6 tbsp of the curry paste until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, stock and palm sugar and simmer for 10 minutes.
Divide the spaghetti courgette between 6 warmed bowls. Season the soup with the lime juice and fish sauce, and pour over the courgette. Scatter with coriander leaves, a drizzle of coconut cream and serve with lime wedges.